Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The end of an era


On Saturday November 6, 2010 my family laid to rest my grandfather James O. Turner. He was my last (blood) grandparent remaining. It was a hard thing to do, knowing that I no longer have grandparents to share things with. Grandparents are the parents you wished you had, they are the go to guys that believe you can never do wrong and have a hard time saying no. My mother was raised by her grandparents and so I was blessed with both my great grandparents and my grandparents to share life with (if only for a short while). My great grandfather and grandfather were both men of integrity and dedication. Their hard work and commitment to family have always inspired me to be a better person. I named my son James after both of them and pray that he can live up the character of the two men whose name he shares. My grandfather was larger than life. Standing at 6'2 and having hands as large as frying pans makes it hard to not be considered as such. He had movie star good looks and loved sports. Baseball was his all time favorite. I remember two Christmas' ago he sent my son a package and in that package he sent him a full size San Fransisco Giants baseball hat, a baseball, and a baseball glove. My son was only three and the hat and glove dwarfed his small body, but if you knew my grandfather you'd know it was a very fitting gift. My son still has the baseball, glove and hat and will always have them as a reminder of the man for whom he was named. While I was in Las Vegas for his funeral my uncle found a video tape of me at my grandparents business. (They owned a park and fly outside of the Oakland Airport we lovingly refer to it as the shop). It was shot a few days shy of my great grandfather's birthday on the day after Christmas in 1991. I was a little girl with a big personality and a lot of love for the man I called Grandpa Jim. I wished I had a picture of one particular part of the video. We had finally convinced my grandfather to be a part of the video and I had placed a small chair in front of him and he leaned over me and said something about the four generations we had in the same room and how lucky we were to have that. I'm so glad I got to see that video (even though it was originally meant to be shown as blackmail against me and my uncle) because I got to see him living and most importantly loving me. I will miss him dearly. The way he called me Shayler, his baritone voice, but I'm comforted in my knowledge that he loved his family and that the Lord blessed us all with James O. Turner.

3 comments:

Brei said...

Shayla, thanks for sharing. I am so sorry fo your loss. It sounds like you have a lot of great memories of a great man.

Amy said...

What a beautiful tribute. I am sorry for your loss.

Nichole said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Shayla. It sounds like he was a wonderful man.

background